Feature Content

  • Bretske Hall at UTC
  • Bretske Hall at UTC
  • Bretske Hall at UTC
  • Bretske Hall at UTC
  • Bretske Hall at UTC
  • Bretske Hall at UTC
  • Bretske Hall at UTC
  • Bretske Hall at UTC
  • Bretske Hall at UTC
  • Bretske Hall at UTC
Close

Bretske Hall at UTC

/

Bretske Hall at UTC

Constructed in 1947, Bretske Hall is located on the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga campus.  Originally the University cafeteria, the building later contained classrooms and administrative offices for the geology, physics and astronomy departments.  Bretske Hall has been renovated for use by the Art Department.  The 7,000 square foot building consists of three large studio spaces, a seminar room, and a series of offices, small storage rooms, and accessible restrooms.  The renovation of Bretske Hall provides ADA access to the basement level, which was previously inaccessible.   An accessible path is provided to the basement entry on the North side of the building, and an elevator was added to serve the First Floor and Basement.  The entry from the South side of the building has been improved with a new accessible ramp and landscaping.  The design for the project places high priority on the master plan for the University.  The North elevation of the building has been transformed into a prominent façade and primary entry facing historic Chamberlain Field, which will become the future campus green.  The large storefront openings on this façade will provide north light to two of the studio spaces and create a dialogue or interaction between the Art students and their work and the surrounding campus.

Project Actions

back-to-top