Feature Content

  • Chickamauga Battlefield Visitor Center
  • Chickamauga Battlefield Visitor Center
  • Chickamauga Battlefield Visitor Center
  • Chickamauga Battlefield Visitor Center
  • Chickamauga Battlefield Visitor Center
  • Chickamauga Battlefield Visitor Center
Close

Chickamauga Battlefield Visitor Center

/

Chickamauga Battlefield Visitor Center

Hefferlin + Kronenberg Architects teamed with Durango Enterprises for the restoration of the front porch and porch roof of the Chickamauga Visitor Center in Fort Oglethorpe, Ga. This portion of the Visitor Center now houses the Fuller Gun collection. The Federal style building was built in 1934 by the National Park Service and is constructed of local limestone with a black slate roof and built in gutters. The columns and trim are painted pine. Hefferlin + Kronenberg provided the design for the restoration in compliance with the National Park Service Guidelines for Historic Preservation. Working with the original drawings from 1934 and with Durango Enterprises and March Adams & Associates engineers we sourced materials and devised methods that were in keeping with preservation guidelines. Heidi Hefferlin was the architect of record for Hefferlin + Kronenberg. As the architect, we consulted with the team onsite throughout construction to assure the work complied with the National Park guidelines. The team achieved the goal of restoring the structure to its original condition. The work was completed in the spring of 2014.

Project Actions

back-to-top