The 1900-era Marble Works Building originally housed a marble fabrication shop, but had been left vacant for many years until the client purchased the building in 2006. Heavy deterioration left the building windowless and damaged from water infiltration and exposure to the elements. The back half the building was demolished to make the project size appropriate for a single family residence while opening up space for a private garden in the rear. Split vertically, the home’s public space is on the ground floor and private space is located on the second floor. The original un-reinforced concrete walls were reinforced by adding structural steel stud walls on the interior of the existing walls and as many of the original materials as possible were reused for flooring and trim.